Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Blog-tember day 23

Today is officially the first day of Fall and I really hope to see the weather change in parts of California.  I am also hoping that this fall will bring rain here since we are in a drought and in severe need of water.

Today's Blog-tember challenge is "A guid to your city"  I have two cities which I call home the one that saw me grow and the one I currently reside in.


Brave Love Blog

I am from a small agriculture surrounded town with only about 6,000 residents and in certain crop seasons the populations almost doubles.  Here in this town they grow a variety of vegetation, to name a few lettuce, tomatoes, onions, garlic, oranges, cotton, melons and the list goes on.  The Central Valley of California is very fruitful and I'm sure that a lettuce or tomato you've had or seen was grown in my little town of Huron, CA located in Fresno County and about one hour south of Fresno.



There is one main street and no stop lights in this little town.  The main street which is Lassen Ave. lies on highway 269 which is highly trafficked but huron doesn't get much tourism.  It is in the middle of nowhere and if you look at the map above there is nothing really around it just fields.  Growing up in a small town was fun, everybody knew each other and we all looked out for each other.  We have one Elementary school and one Middle School.  No High School; the high school aged kids hop on a bus every morning and go to Coalinga, CA.  Coalinga is not my town but I am proud to say that I attended the high school and am a Horned Toad.  Yes, that was our mascot.  Why?  I'm not too certain but people I meet sure do get a kick out of it.  Getting back to Huron, it is small and used to be quaint with very little violence and the occasional law enforcement calls.  But now it is a whole new story, the gang violence has risen to an extreme for a very small town.  These stupid kids will go out in broad daylight and try to kill someone and because of the growing violence and lack of law enforcement from the Police, my siblings and i decided that moving my mom to a new city was a must.  Since she has moved two years ago violence is steadily getting worse and they are all gang related.  It is so sad to see my town end up like this but I pray that a change will happen God willing.  

Huron's Old Central Hotel
Left: 1898 pic Right:2000 pic
Unfortunately it burned down about 10 years ago.

Huron's the Ritz, a movie theatre that has not been open since
the late 1980's

There isn't much to this little town other then what huron used to be.  A thriving community on the rise and at one point it became stagnant.  If you're interested in learning more about my little town let me know and I can follow up this post.

Now my new locations is still in CA but much different the little town of Huron.  Still small but not nearly as small.  It is located in the Central Coast of CA about 1.45 hours from Huron.  The beach is located about 15 minutes away and I don't go as often as I could.  It is a college town which is how I ended up here. 



The downtown area is a big tourist spot and people from everywhere make their way here.  The weather is always awesome and the nights are always cold but nothing really bad.  San Luis Obispo was considered to be the happiest city in America and even Oprah sent Jenny Mccarthy to SLO to interview people and check out the happiest city.  Downtown you have little shops and brace yourselves by this picture.  Some of you will think it's cool and some of you will cringe and think it's gross.  I personally think "YUCK!"

This is Bubblegum Alley
How and why Bubblegum alley became what it is today I have no idea but I do know that it has been there for a very long time and people gawk over it.  As a child coming to visit SLO was fun and to visit the alley was just as amusing.  Why?  I do not know but I was intrigued. 


Barnes & Noble
When I am downtown I have to frequent one of my favorite places which is B&N.  The are lots of cute little boutiques as well as brand name stores such as Sephora, Pottery Barn, Banana Republic, Abercrombie and Fitch, Wet Seal, Urban Outfitter and many more.  It is also filled with good restaurants Woodstocks Pizza being my favorite.


What other amazing things does SLO have to offer you ask?  Hiking!  The mountains here are beautiful and I am banging my head on my table for not having any pictures but worry not because I am adding "take pictures of mountains in slo and maybe one picture from atop a mountain" to my To-Do list.


I'll end this post with a picture I took a couple years ago in Morro Bay which is about 10 minutes away.  I hope you enjoyed the snippet I have given you.  I could have added more stuff but I didn't want to overload you.

Thank you for stopping by.  Hope you have a wonderfully week.

Till next time,


1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear what has happened to your town, and thanks for the lowdown on SLO: it looks to be a beautiful place (although, yes, "yuck" to the whole Bubblegum Alley idea!)

    ReplyDelete